Skip to main content

How to Pay Taxes as an Independent Contractor?

independent contractor taxes.self-employment taxes. estimated tax payments. How to pay taxes as an independent contractorThe gig economy influences great growth and popularity in independent contractor opportunities. Many people work both full time and part time as independent contractors. Some popular independent contracting opportunities include ride-share driving, freelance work, and much more! If you work as an independent contractor (or simply self-employed), it is important to understand the tax implications and requirements faced by independent contractors because when it comes to taxes, the independent contractor has full responsibility for withholding and payment!

Why & Apply

To begin, I like to start my posts off by introducing the topic and discussing those who may benefit from the information provided.

So, why discuss taxes specific to independent contractors? Well, as an independent contractor or self-employed person, you are fully responsible for withholding taxes and making the estimated tax payments. Therefore, you must act smart and plan tax payments to avoid penalties and/or lack of sufficient funds. By understanding the independent contractor and/or self-employment tax rules, you will successfully do and file your taxes on time without penalty, which of course is the goal!

As stated earlier, the post will apply to anyone working as an independent contractor or self-employed individual. In other words, if you are not a W-2 employee, please continue to read. Instead of a W-2, an independent contractor receives a 1099-MISC. The 1099-MISC will reflect your total self-employment compensation. The 1099-MISC independent contractor compensation is subject to taxation.

I hope to answer all of your questions relating to paying taxes as an independent contractor, including:
- How independent contractors pay taxes?
- How to report and do self-employment tax?
- When to file and pay independent contractor taxes?
- Where to report self-employment income?
- How and when to pay estimated taxes?

Lets begin!

Independent Contractor Taxes

As an independent contractor, you must pay self-employment taxes and income taxes.

Self-Employment Taxes

Self-employment tax consists of social security and medicare. The self-employment tax is in addition to the income tax. Please utilize the Schedule SE found on the IRS website to calculate the self-employment tax. Also, remember as a self-employed individual, you may deduct 1/2 of your self-employment tax for AGI.

Income Taxes

Like any compensation, you must report your 1099-MISC compensation for tax purposes. If your total self-employment income is greater than $400, you must file a tax return. So, where to report the self-employment income? You will report the income on the Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business) and Form 1040. If you are not a self-employed trade or business, report the income directly to line 21 of Form 1040.

Independent Contractor Estimated Tax Payments

As a self-employed individual, you must pay quarterly estimated tax payments if you expect to owe $1,000 or more in taxes for the tax year.

How to Pay Estimated Tax Payments

You can use the Form 1040-ES found on the IRS website to calculate the estimated tax payments relating to your self-employment income. Additionally, you can pay the estimated tax electronically or via check by mail.

When to Pay Estimated Tax Payments

As stated, independent contractors must pay quarterly estimated tax payments. The due dates include:

  • Q1 (Jan-Mar): April 15
  • Q2 (Apr-Jun): June 15
  • Q3 (Jul-Sept): September 15
  • Q4 (Oct-Dec): January 15 (of following year)

Now you know!

Now you know how to pay taxes as an independent contractor. Please comment any questions or concerns. Also, please share with anyone who may benefit from learning about paying taxes as an independent contractor!


Popular posts from this blog

Gambling Winnings & Losses: How to report gambling income and losses

People love to gamble.  During the past NFL Super Bowl (2019),  gamblers wagered approximately $146 million in Nevada’s sports books, which fell short of the record set the year before of $159 million. The gambling industry continues to grow as U.S. legislation becomes less restrictive relating to the gambling industry.  Because of the size of the gambling market, the IRS set forth guidance to control the tax treatment of gambling winnings and losses. I will discuss income and losses, record keeping, reporting forms, and special rules. If you participate in gambling activities, it is important to know the unique personal tax rules. The term 'gambling' applies to a wide range of activities, including: sports betting, casino games, lotteries, etc. You will need to follow the established gambling tax rules when reporting winnings and losses from gambling activities. Related Posts IRA Income: Must know tax rules relating to your IRA Are your income items taxable? Gamblin

File your taxes online for free: The IRS Free File Program Explained

It is officially tax filing season. While many people dread filing their tax return, I have some good news that may cheer you up and save you some money during this tax filing season. For those that meet the requirements, you may file your tax return for free via the IRS Free File Program! What is the IRS Free File Program? The IRS Free File program is a partnership between the IRS and leading tax-preparation companies. The partnership states that these tax-prep software companies must provide free online tax preparation and electronic filing for those who qualify for Free File. What are the requirements to qualify for the IRS Free File Program? You may file your taxes for free using the Free File software if your income is $72,000 or less (for tax year 2020). By qualifying for Free File, you may choose from several brand-name tax software companies. The software will guide you through the tax preparation process, ultimately preparing and printing your tax return. If your inc

20 Tips & Tricks for Studying for the CPA Exam

For those on the way to becoming a certified public accountant, you now know it is a long and difficult journey. For those just beginning, good luck! The most difficult and time-consuming task is passing the CPA Exam. CPA candidates must spend hundreds of hours preparing for all four sections of the CPA. Each CPA section represents an entirely different topic, creating a daunting task for anyone looking to start studying for the CPA exam. I passed all four sections of the CPA with an average score of 91. Luckily, I did not have to retake any of the exams, which is a common occurrence as the average passing rate is around 40-50% per exam. Having personal experience dealing with the CPA exam process, I want to share valuable tips for conquering the CPA exam. I want you to feel confident and comfortable during the CPA exam process, and so, I believe the following tips will help you during the CPA exam process. Lets begin! Related Posts -  Preparing for the CPA Exam: How to Study